Saturday, October 17, 2015

My Dota 2 game replay

Hello!

I would like to report on my experience in Dota 2. For people in the know here's the match id "1873649016". Match id is used in the "watch" tab. Type number into search bar in watch tab from main menu.

Let's get into details. Dota 2 is a free to play PC game. Grab it on Steam and start playing yourself. I even made a 13 min video introducing new people to basic gameplay. It's for those who are really confused. For the first time in my gaming experience I encountered a game that wasn't immediately straight forward to figure out. It has an in-game tutorial, but I found it lacking and too long.

After playing some matches I experienced two particular matches that threw me into rage. Here's a screen-shot of enemy hero.


And the post-game report screen with the match id.




If it's not immediately apparent from the first screen-shot, the terrorblade hero has level 24 while I only have level 14. I'm far from being a good player. I just play for fun. I learned some basics just to optimize a little bit. In gameplay this difference in hero levels translates into very fast snipes for terrorblade. My encounters didn't last more than 3 seconds. I couldn't farm gold fast enough to keep up. All this makes for a terrible Dota experience. It's like that hero is a big dot on the map. Walk too close and your hero dies. I strongly feel that players who understand the game at a high level as this should not be matched against players like me who are just starting out.

Looking back at it now it's true that their team has three people out of five not in the game, but if it's a balancing attempt it doesn't excuse the poor game experience. I have had different matches. There were Rikki and Ursa combinations where it seemed like I was always the target no matter what my position on the map, in comparison to my teammates surviving. But none of those games left me hopeless. Now I saved a screen-shot of the second game in a row with a skilled player dominating and I fear that I can only add to this gallery in the future. I also post this to go on the record that this domination hasn't occurred to me. As an example I've played against Lina and received 90% damage of my total HP pool but playing as Lina I barely scratch 50% in the first second of 1v1 engagement. I have more luck with Crystal maiden's ultimate. Thanks for reading if you got this far!

Update
And sure enough. Next game I play I get destroyed. Always one team super-stronger than the other. Match id for screen-shot is "1873848795".


Next game match id "1873919022". You get the drift by now. It was a bit more balanced, but Ursa player killed Roshan two times.




Aww, I actually won the next game! Dota went slack on me. Match id "1873992401" Really! If examined carefully, the screen-shot is taken beside the radient ancient. My character was leading the charge.


A link to useful Dota 2 hero guide.
Link your Steam account and view Dota 2 stats online at dotabuffs. Requires enabling public data in game options.

No comments:

Post a Comment